12.16.2011

Things: Stories of Friendship and Grace (12/15)


December 15th
Things: Many people believe that things are not important, so whether things or something more grand, what are the three most important things in your life right now? 

In a world full of a compilation of darkness and needed donations, there is a gradually widening gap between the haves and the have nots. The topic of "things" gives us a chance to put attention on the actual tangible items in our lives that mean much to us.

For a child receiving a gift from Compassion International, it might be a cot to sleep on instead of a hardwood or cement floor. An NFL football player might consider his Super Bowl ring one of the most important things in his life right now. A young mother may look at her child and just know that he or she is the most important "thing."

This year, for me, and right now, there are three things that stand out for me. One is, in fact, a thing. Another is in the person category. The third, is more of an idea.

1. My Journal: Whether online or in my actual paper journal, the ability to capture what is making me who I am and who I will be is an important part of the overall journey. My father started recording daily events in something we would call the "red books" when I was quite young. I'm thankful I'll have them to look back on with my children, and when I'm older, and remember my youth. The current journals, while more inconsistent, sporadically online or on paper, and somewhat more in the form of a prayer serve the same purpose. 

2. Friends: All kinds of friends. From the consistently devoted, to the sporadically entertaining, and the deep loving. Whether I meet them for coffee, or have silly conversations with them, or they let me reveal my soul (and in return, they reveal themselves to me), my friends are a great deal to me. 

3. Grace: The idea that we can fall and rise again means most to me, and not just for me, but for the others struggling to get back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment