12.08.2011

Goodbye: Becomes Hello, Again (12/8)


December 8th
Goodbye: Did you have to say goodbye to someone in 2011?  Did they move away or did you lose them unexpectedly? How did you react? What would you say to them now if they could hear you, or read your message?

This year I discovered saying goodbye in saying hello.

In 2007 a close friend of mine moved away from the town we were living in. We had become friends because we both were grieving at the same time. While we were going through two different things, we were both able to be there for one another to listen, to cry, and to just... be there.

I promised to visit, but I didn't even make it to his wedding. He didn't hold it against me at all.

This year, I traveled to his town where I got to meet his beautiful (and hysterically funny) wife. It was a whirlwind visit so we could all go to another friend's wedding. 

Leaving was one of the most difficult things I had to do. The lesson was in knowing that for this only child, this person was like a brother. To him, that's what I'd say. I love him like a brother, I'm so thankful that through our friendship I'll get to have a "sister-in-law" and be an aunt to a child I cannot wait to meet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment