12.14.2011

Jobs: That Help You Grow (12/14)


December 14th
Jobs: Did you change jobs in 2011? What did you do? Did you change careers? If you didn’t, did you do something that made you proud in your work? Do you plan to make a change in 2012? 

Only one thing changed about my job in 2011. I went from an associate level position to more of a main-level position. The switch prompted a change in how I slept and otherwise lived my life. 

Admittedly, I didn't perform to the best of my professional ability at times this year. Compartmentalizing is not something I do well, and had to be nudged along the way to compartmentalize at work and deal with things outside of work.

At times I imagined myself hearing Donald Trump saying, "You're fired." Once, I thought about Simon Cowell saying that what I had just done was "bloody awful." While not perfect, my work was far from disastrous. My mindset was worse than my work itself. 

Once I got the message that I could achieve, and people around me believed more in my ability than I did, I was able to immerse myself into my work in a much more diligent way. 

The highlight was when it, my work, was recognized by my colleagues. As someone who once hated positive feedback because I felt it was disadvantageous to others, this was feedback I had been craving. It inspired me to keep doing my best.

Truth be told, everyone need to be informed of what they're doing well, and not just what they need to work on. Even the praise can help a person grow. 

When I finished my degree in May, I had hoped, and still hope, that the academic experience will allow me the opportunity to apply it professionally. While it's not always a current option, I hope I can apply the lessons learned in either stories I write, or volunteer experiences I have, and in conversations. 

I still have bad days. I'm not perfect and I'd never claim to be. Professionally and personally I'm just focused on being perfectly me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment