12.10.2011

Television: Artistry in Storytelling, Stories that Help (12/10)


December 10th
Television: Which television shows, series, program, or otherwise did you discover this year? What resonated with you? Did you finally decide to start watching “Modern Family”? Or, maybe you followed Oprah to her new network? Whatever it is you stumbled across, tell us about it.


I have become completely captivated by the stories told on Private Practice. Late last year and early into this year, the extended arc about rape proved to be deeply profound. Then, later, the story arc about additcion. There is also the storyline about finding out you have a child and dealing with mortality after having a heart attack. The problem with relationships, feeling stifled, unloved, loved too much and not doing, or doing something about it. None of the issues deeply resonated with me personally, however the stories brought me to tears, and I appreciated the series for doing work that might actually save some lives.

On the other end of the spectrum, I finally started watching The Big Bang Theory. Jim Parsons went to my undergraduate alma matter for his Master's in Fine Arts. He's seriously talented, and after he won awards - again - this year, I decided it's time I see what kind of hilarious genius he is. 

This year, I found myself tuning into just about every Country music award show and performances. The ability to watch without anyone saying they didn't like it meant something to me. I already wrote about hearing Sara Evans sing "A Little Bit Stronger" for the first time. Yet, from that moment on - I knew I should check out more of the performances.

One of my earliest mentors, Diane Sawyer, did her series on the "Children of the Lakota" which is real life and is profoundly good storytelling. Documentary-style journalism is reality to the most important degree; a true authenticity unlike what is seen on The Bachelor. I'm grateful, still, for the journalism that allows for time to tell a full and complete story. 

At the end of the day, it's the artistry in acting, production, and a higher calling to help that draws me to television. Shows that address the stuff of life, the good, and the bad, and find a way to be delightful at the same time are what resonate with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment